IT'S JUST ME...

Monday, June 13, 2011

naan bread tomato & basil pizza


When I first started this blog, I fully intended to share lots of recipes -- because they are fun, I enjoy seeing other recipe blogs and since I've been married, I've been experimenting much more in the kitchen than I ever have before. This is mostly because it was no fun cooking new, fun things for one person. You need another critic in there! And, whats better than a husband who eats almost anything?

A few weeks ago, the husband and I were at the store and he spotted a pack of Naan bread. He started talking about how great it was, and how he used to eat it all the time during his deployment to Iraq. I had heard of it before, but never tried it. So, we decided to buy a pack and see what kind of stuff we I could make with it.

Has anyone ever heard of those new Philly creme cheese cooking creams? I kept seeing the commercials, and was intrigued and bought one today. There was a recipe on the container for a pizza using the cooking cream, so I decided to adapt it to the Naan bread, and see what happened. Results? Delicious! And SO easy! If you're interested in the recipe -- proceed forward :)



The supplies you need:

- Naan bread (we got ours at GFS, but I'm pretty sure it can be found at almost any grocery store, in the bread aisle, or "international foods" section)
- Philly cooking creme in Italian Cheese & Herb flavor
- tomato
- onion
- fresh basil leaves
- mozzarella cheese


Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Then, start off by spreading a thin layer of the cooking cream over your bread. Use your judgement on this. You can use as much or as little as you want! I recommend a thinner layer, because I'm not sure if it would get too soggy otherwise.


Next, sprinkle on your cheese. Again, you choose the amount. They always say less is more..but I don't think that rule applies when it comes to cheese ;)


Cut up some onion slices, and put them on the pizza.


Thinly slice the tomato, as much as you want, but obviously enough to cover the surface of your pizza.


mmm fresh basil. Normally, when a recipe calls for basil, I always use the dried stuff from my spice collection. However, when it comes to a pizza like this, you have to use the fresh stuff. I just don't think it would taste the same without it!


Rip a couple basil leaves into smaller pieces and put on the pizza. I think for two pizza's, I used 2 full leaves. A little goes a long way, when it comes to herbs.


Before putting in the oven, I sprinkled a little bit of parmesan cheese on top -- just for effect ;)


Place pizza's directly on the top rack of the oven. You could probably bake it on a baking sheet, but I don't think it would get as crispy. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, depending on your oven and how fast it bakes. Just watch for the cheese to start melting and the bread to start getting brown.


Voila!! Eat & enjoy :)


And, oh yea, it's critic approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment