IT'S JUST ME...

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

be the match.

Not too long ago I stumbled upon a post by someone else, regarding a little boy suffering from leukemia. Apparently, they were having a hard time finding a bone marrow match for him, and were desperately looking for donors.

This, of course, got me thinking. How come I have never thought about being a bone marrow donor before? Possibly because I didn't know much about it, other than remembering that scene from 7 Pounds where Will Smith's character donates bone marrow, and is then bed ridden for the next week. But, I decided to research it anyway, and less than 30 minutes later, I was registered through The National Marrow Donor Program.

A few days ago, I received my testing kit. It's quite simple, and consists of swabbing your inner cheek a few times, and sending those suckers off to be tested. Testing takes five or more weeks, and sometimes, they won't always find a match right away. But, needless to say, its out there and if someone comes calling, I'm ready to answer!

I figure, if I can give someone else a chance at life, while causing myself minor pain, its definitely worth it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment